Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Would you sympathise?

There is this old woman who sells tissue at Bishan MRT station every morning.
I never once bought tissues from her.
Yes she seems quite pitiful,
old woman, jobless, need money to survive.
But! I have my doubts.

Every morning, she will sit on a stool peddling a bag of tissues,
and say repeatedly in mandarin:
"Im an old woman with no money and no children.
Pls help me buy a set of tissues.
Wishing all of you good health."
Sounds good right?
Telling us the reason why we should help her,
and then w/o obligations, she wishes everybody good health.

Scenario 1
Then one day, I saw her eating a hearty breakfast.
You wud think she shud be quite poor and would be frugal,
hence wun spend so much on breakfast alone right?
Lunch or dinner, maybe...but breakfast?
She had this big packet of beehoon with 3 to 4 ingredients.
That's quite sumptuous for a tissue peddler.

Ok give her the benefit of doubt.
Maybe someone bought it for her.
Or she decides to indulge just for that one day.
Maybe it's her birthday.
Or maybe it's her first big meal in days.

Scenario 2
I saw her talking on...a handphone!
Nokia one.
She was chatting with someone on her hp while peddling tissues.
Prob no business so she was bored.
How can a poor old woman who got no money, no children,
and had to end up peddling on the streets...
own a hp???

Ok give her the benefit of doubt.
Someone bought it for her or gave it to her for free.
Or it was a borrowed hp.
I dunno, i cant think of anything else.
I suspect, she does have children.
Who paid for her hp.

Scenario 3
I got a shock one day when I saw her sporting a new hairstyle.
SHE had a new haircut and DYED HER HAIR!
Omg! Unbelievable!!!
How can anyone struggling to earn a living,
have the money or the extravagance to go colour their hair?

Ok give her the benefit of doubt.
She got the haircut and dye for free.
Some kind soul did it for her, or bought her a home kit dye.

But I still cant believe it.
I dun think i can come up with so many "benefit of the doubt" anymore.
I dun trust this old woman.
I feel that she is cheating the public.
It is not about not buying tissues from her.
(altho one set of 4 tissue packs costs $2..consider quite ex compared to supermarket)
It's about the principles.
How can you act all pitiful to cheat the public of their sympathy?
I dun agree with that.
I decided to never donate to such peddlers again.

0 Strawberry Kisses:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com

Template Modified and Brought to you by : AllBlogTools.com blogger templates